BPA Competes At State Competition

Kayla Overmeyer, Staff Reporter

Blackfoot High School BPA (Business Professionals of America) participated in a state competition March 8th and 9th at Boise State University.

Katelyn Elkins (12) and Jayson Haddon (11) earned their statesman award.

“Over the three years I’ve been in BPA, I’ve learned the meaning of true friendship. We learn to work together as friends and prepare for a professional future. We know how to have fun, but we also know how to be professional. I think a lot of people think we don’t have fun and are only professional,” Elkins said the, president of BPA.

Students were able to compete individually or as a team in a vast amount of competitions such as accounting, video production, personal finance management, etc.

Emma Hurst (12), Jaden Harris (9), and Kymberly Wieland (9) all competed In a Video Production team that took second at regionals and competed at state.

Braden Carson (12), and Josh Sharp (12) competed on a presentation management team that took second at regionals and competed at state.

“It was great. I got to spend some time with friends and had the best teachers there to party with,” Carson said.

Students were able to participate in a wide range of activities from competing in events, guest speakers, workshops, open Events, banquet nights, and fun leisure activities. All the events students participate in are designed to help them develop leadership skills, communicate with others, and allow relationships to strengthen.

“I feel that BPA helps them find areas that they are already good at and helps them develop those skills. Everything they’re doing in BPA is going to help them in their education and careers, because everything we do are real world skills,” Nicole Shults, Business teacher and BPA Advisor for BHS said.

Ashton Williams (9) competed in Visual Basics C#. He took first at regionals and fifth at state, qualifying for nationals.

Seth Polatis (11) competed in Advance Offices Systems. He took third at regionals and first at state, qualifying for nationals. He also competed Legal Office Procedures. He took second at regionals and competed at state.

“State was a lot of fun. I learned that hard work pays off when you’re willing to put in the effort,” Seth Polatis (11) said.

Andy Fitzgerald (10) competed in Fundamental Spreadsheets. He took third at regionals and competed at state.

Katelyn Elkins (12) and Jayson Haddon (11) pose for a photo at state.
Seth Polatis (11) with his state award for 1st place.
Braden Carson (12) and Andy Fitzgerald (10) pose for a photo at state.