Debate takes stand

Jace Robinson (J.K.Robin)

Winning sweepstakes in their first tournament this year the debate team is taking a stand. The team has had many students place high within the first two compititions. To win within the competitions, students have to sacrifice hours of their days to memorize cases, study topics, and to make sure everything is presentable.

On November 3-4, the Hillcrest Joust took place. Debaters Daniela Hammond (10) and Savana Hall (11) took first in duo, and Jordan Reynolds (12) and Danzan Bingham (12) were first in public forum, and that’s just the start.

November 10th and 11th Highland, the team overall took second out of 17. Jordyn Parsons (10) and Payton Parks (10) took first in duo and more debaters placing many more categories.

Our debate program allows students to participate in many forms of debate and speech such as: Retold, Big question, sales, policy, Congress, duo Interpretation, and Humorous interpretation just to name a few.

Going to competition allows for our students to get to know more people, strangers, other debaters, and gives them a common interests…the are both enemies. Debate helps with solidifying student friendships by getting them to talk with each other.

“Winning trophies for arguing is fun,” Daniela Hammond (10) said, “arguing and sass is fun, it’s the most formal way to argue you get a chance to get to know with strangers. And all around it’s just fun.”

Payton Parks (10) placed second at finals with his partner Parsons, competing in junior varsity public forum debate. Parsons (10) said, “Debate gives you an opportunity to grow closer with your team, and make new friends.”

They compete again this weekend at Skyline.