Students need to treat others with more respect to become unified

Kaitlyn Jensen, Online Editor

Blackfoot High School and other schools across the nation have begun to address the issue of bullying profoundly. During the walkout, Blackfoot High School proposed to do 17 days of kindness. The school wants students to spread it around, becoming more unified and coming together as a family.

Students pass each other in the hallways every day without recognizing who they pass. Many times, students are talking to friends, on social media or just hurrying to class. Yet, how many times do students look up to see those faces who are actual people? Do students take time to get to know them or simply walk past without a thought?

Students go to school to learn and form relationships with their peers. By doing so, students are prepared to go out in the world and work with others in their job.

“Peer relationships, especially friendships, serve several important roles in children’s and adolescents’ personal and social development,” posted Education.com said.

By forming good relationships with others, students are able to progress and benefit from these relationships. Students who form relationships with others, whether it be an acquaintance relationship or friend relationship, will be able to learn to work with others effectively and provide a sense of unity within the school.

Students who misuse or reject friend relationships when offered are taking away opportunity for learning. Students don’t always see the impact that it has and often it leads to bullying others.

“Treat others the way you want to be treated,” Hallie Diaz (9) said.

Bullying happens in schools worldwide. Often times bullying happens “because they don’t like the person, want to feel control or they are jealous,” according to Bullyingnoway.gov. The bully wants to feel good about themselves and picks on others who look weak or vulnerable. Bullying effects the student in many ways.

According to StopBullying.gov, “Bullying can threaten students’ physical and emotional safety at school and can negatively impact their ability to learn.”

“You don’t know how that person’s lifestyle is at home,” Diaz said.

Why does bullying need to happen? How do students stop bullying from happening? While bullying will never fully stop, students can take action.

“The best way to address bullying is to stop it before it starts. There are a number of things school staff can do to make schools safer and prevent bullying,” according to StopBullying.gov said.

“Smile at others and say hi,” Rye Salmon (10) said.

Take the time to spread kindness and friendship. Get to know other students in classrooms or in the hallways. Stop the bullying before it happens.