Welcome to The Why Archive!

Josh Hone, Co-Editor

Imagine yourself in high school. For most of us, it shouldn’t be that hard, considering we’re probably here already, but bear with me. Anyway, the teacher in this hypothetical situation walks into their classroom and says: “Today, we’re going to learn about ______.” Now, that blank might be math related, like the Law of Sines, or it could be a historical event such as the Lincoln-Douglas debates. No matter what the topic in question is, you ask yourself, Why on Earth is this what I’m devoting the next hour of my life to? I know I’ve been in that situation. 

Welcome to The Why Archive! My name is Josh Hone, and I’m a senior here at BHS. The Archive will be a series of about 16 articles, released every other Thursday starting on September 8th as part of my senior project. The goal of the articles? Answering that exact question: Why am I learning about this? However, I can’t do this alone, so I’m going to need some help from all y’all. 

At the bottom of this page is a button labeled “leave a comment.” Press that button, and tell me what you think! What topics should I write about? Alternatively, email me your thoughts at [email protected], and use the subject “The Why Ideas.” It could be a lesson, a concept, it could even be an entire class, like SAT prep. 

I’ll choose 4 topics from those I receive, and every other Monday and Tuesday, I will go around the school and ask 8 random individuals, 2 from each grade. Those students will then choose which of those 4 topics they want to learn about. In the days following, I will ask teachers, counselors, Google, anything I can find, to discover a practical purpose for each topic and write it into an article, to be published on the following Thursday. 

The first article, to be published on the 8th, will cover the topic of September 11, 2001. I’ll discover and discuss why teachers think we should know about it, and why it’s still relevant for those of us who weren’t alive when the attacks happened.

So, I invite you to come on a journey with me into…

THE WHY ARCHIVE!