Holiday traditions to start this year

Breanna Beck, News Editor

1. 12 Days of Christmas: Never forget the true meaning of Christmas. Try finding a deserving family and make their season a little happier by doing twelve sweet, anonymous drops on their doorstep.
  2. Sockagawea: Whether between friends or family, get a big group of people to do a fun sock exchange with. Everybody can get a unique pair of socks for a low price but have loads of fun with the crazy designs.
  3. Christmas Markets: All around Europe and throughout other parts of the world, traditional Christmas markets are set up to celebrate the Christmas season with authentic artistry and yummy food. It is a wonderful, new experience that every family should be sure to try. (Normally, there is a special Christmas Market set up in Salt Lake City in the first week of December.)
  4. Lights Display: Pounding to the Christmas-rock beat of Trans-Siberian Orchestra music, light displays flash on and off in a spectacular design. It is a must this Christmas season to go see for yourself the breathtaking exhibits that use light to create a burst of joy.
  5. Community Snowball Fight“Attention all neighbors! You are invited to meet on the corner of Broadway and Main to engage in the snowball fight of the century. It will be the battle heard around the town so come prepared!” With fun and competition in mind, set a date, time, and location to gather your friends in a fun-loving game of white  Christmas fun.
  6. Christmas CarolingAlthough it is a Christmas tradition that may seem mundane, caroling is a service task that can bring happiness to even the most ‘Humbug’ of them all. Find those amusing tunes and belt them out to the people in your town (especially the old people because they love it).
  7. Live Nativity: Keep in the mind the true meaning of Christmas by going to see the reenactment of Mary and Joseph pouring their hearts over a little boy praised by kings, shepherds, and angels.
  8. Other Country Traditions: Kwanzaa, Hanukkah, and Ramadan are all different holidays celebrated by varying countries around Christmas time. Try something new by diving into another culture with the mindset of learning how it works and why it is what it is.
  9. Friend Holiday Trip: Round up your closest friends, pick an entertaining destination, and set out on an exhilarating trip to enjoy each other’s company and have fun. Pick a palate of delicacies and desserts as you lounge together as friends while watching Christmas Hallmark movies.
  10. Musical or PlayEven if it is the play put on by the local high school, go out and enjoy the environment of live singing and dancing in a world of digital videos and texts. Feel the nostalgic applaud of the audience as an act is completed in utmost perfection. There are even musicals based on well-known movies, like Elf. After all, “The best way to spread Christmas cheer is singing loud for all to hear!”