Daegan Simpson Wins Distinguished Dudes

Daegan Simpson (11) flipping his hair. Photo by Kaitlyn Jensen, online editor.

Kayla Overmeyer, Staff Reporter

On March 30, Daegan Simpson (11) was awarded the title of Blackfoot High Schools 2018 Distinguished Dude. “It felt fantastic, because my brother won it,” Simpson said. For the talent portion of the event, Simpson performed a drum solo.

“My favorite part was the positive people I got to hang out with even if it was at 6 A.M.,” Simpson said.  Towards the end of the event when awards were given Simpson gave competitor Jason Denlinger (11) his medal. “I felt like Jason was the one that should have won,” Simpson said.

It is unlikely that anyone could walk away from a conversation with Daegan without a smile on their face. “He’s freaking legit,” Skyler Williams (12) said.

“He’s been one of my best friends since elementary school, so he’s one of the best people I know. He just impacts my life every day in different ways,” Tyce Robinson (11) said.

Outside of school you can find Daegan on the track, eating, watching Netflix, or cuddling with his cat.

Throughout his high school career he has been very involved through track, football, and being an active member of student council.

“He’s a super funny kid that I’ve had lots of classes with and done sports with. It’s easy to have fun around him,” Nephi Bigler (11) said.

In his life his family, friends, and loved ones are most valued to him.

“Daegan is probably my favorite person on the planet. He’s been my best friend since we were born, and I can’t imagine my life without him. He’s nice to everyone he meets, his humor has me in tears almost all the time, and even on his rough days he makes sure I have a good day. He’s a stud, seriously the whole package,” Lauren Preece (11) said.

When asked who the most influential people in his life have been Simpson replied, “My dad, he just taught me everything, and my mom. She taught me that I needed to love and not hate.” His most treasured memories come from the time spent every summer with his family at Priest Lake.

The part of high school he enjoys most is, “After School,” Simpson said.

After high school he plans on serving an LDS two-year mission. After his mission he plans to enlist into a branch of the military.

Simpson said the most important life lesson his life has taught him so far is, “If you get knocked down, get back up. Don’t stop trying. Don’t expect to get stuff, work for it.”

Simpson says his most embarrassing moment was when, “I had a swimsuit that was a little too big for me on when I dived into the pool the swim trunks went up and I went down. I was butt-naked in the pool.”

“Daegan is the sweetest, most respectful, kind-hearted, and loving person I have ever met. He has made a bigger impact on my life then he probably realizes. He is always lifting me up when I’m down and he’s one of the few people that can keep me going when things get rough. He’s always making me laugh, always! He is always so happy and so fun to be around. He shares his light with everyone he comes in contact with. I look up to him so much and I’m blessed to call him one of my best friends. I love him with my whole heart and don’t know what I would do without him, literally!” Gigi Vitelli (12) said.