Brookelle Langi

Brookelle+Langi

Kailynn Miller, Staff Reporter

Brookelle Langi is a first year teacher at Blackfoot High School (BHS). She is from Castle Dale, Utah where she graduated from Emery High School. She said her whole county attended the same school. Her favorite high school memory was playing powder puff football her senior year. She says that it was so much fun and that anyone interested in trying it should. It is better to have tried something in life rather than regret all the things you never did.

In December she will be graduating from Idaho State University (ISU) with dual Bachelors’ degrees in History and secondary education. Her two degrees will provide her with the certifications to teach both Math and History for both middle school and high school students. Langi is no stranger to working with kids of all ages. She has three kids of her own that range in age from four to nine years old, and she has spent time working in grade school classrooms as well. When asked what drew her to decide to teach high school, her response was, “my personality is better suited for that age demographic.”  

Langi is inspired personally by food and money, as are most human beings, but for her a huge motivator is the feeling she gets when she completes something difficult. With regards to teaching, Langi is inspired by that moment when a student has an “aha moment” in which they realize that they are having a breakthrough in a challenging concept, and what once seemed impossible is now do able. Langi says, “I teach Math because there are several ways to get to the right answer, as well as how there is order to Math.” Langi goes on to state that she does not have a favorite type of Math; however, she does like Algebra and Geometry. Another reason to like it is because students think they never use math. She likes teaching Algebra because a lot of kids like it and can do it. She finds that many kids that don’t seem to get Algebra find success in Geometry. Her favorite quote is from Danica McKellar and reads, “Math is the only place where truth and beauty mean the same thing.”

BHS is lucky to have teachers like Langi that teach from the heart and care about their students having success. She makes sense of things that many students have learned to shut down whenever they come in contact with Math.