Students exempt from second trimester finals following threat

Sabrina Satterthwaite, Editor-in-Chief

Due to safety concerns following an incident on Wednesday, February 28, school was canceled district-wide for that Thursday, the first of two final days for the second trimester, while an investigation took place. Ultimately, school was also canceled Friday, and all students were exempt from their finals, but could opt to take it to raise their grade.

“I think finals being canceled was cool because I didn’t have to go to school,” Bodee Chavez (10) said.

“I think it affected us positively because kids were excited they had the choice,” Jaden Gabbert (11) said.

Many students were already exempt from one or more finals because of the attendance incentive in place that allows students who have two or fewer absences and tardies along with at least a B- to opt out of a class’s final. This incentive was overridden when all finals were canceled.

“I feel like it was not fair because of the grades and attendance. Students who worked hard and made sure they were on time to class earned their right not to take [finals],” Dylan Baker (11) said.

“I [think it was fair] since none wanted to to take them in all truth and honesty,” Kathryn Sullenger (9) said.

“No finals was the smoothest transition [to third trimester],” assistant principal Joe Abercrombie said. To compensate for the missed days and cancelled finals, second trimester grades weren’t finalized until Friday, March 9.

Cancelling school the last two days of the trimester was also a way to allow students and the community time to regroup after the threat.

In a district-wide message, the district said, “With the understanding that this incident has impacted our community, it is our hope this time away from school will provide an opportunity to have discussions regarding the importance of each individual in our community and how we can better connect with each other.”

“We take our students’ safety serious, but we also take their emotional well-being into account, and I don’t think that’s a bad thing,” Abercrombie said. “It’s really tough to go and perform academically at your peak when you’re under stress and you have other things on your mind.”

“I stand by the administration’s decision on cancelling school,” Anissa Bowen (10) said. “I feel that they were looking out for us and really, truly cared about our safety.”