Last Week’s Lockdown Just a Drill

Last Weeks Lockdown Just a Drill

Wyatt Astle, Staff Reporter

After last week’s lockdown, rumors spread about the origin of the incident.  They include but are not limited to an escaped patient from the State Hospital and a drug bust. However, all of these can be discredited.

“The objective was to create as real a scenario as possible, and the lockdown was a planned, routine emergency drill,” according to Assistant Principal Joseph Abercrombie.

The main message the administration wanted to convey was that no one, including teachers and students, should open their doors for anybody unless the administration or police arrive. As part of the test, the intercom system was used and the fire alarm was triggered. Dogs were included as well to test for responsiveness.

The BHS handbook states, “If the fire alarm goes off during a lockdown, teachers should not respond to the fire alarm unless there are visible flames near their door. If the teacher makes the decision to evacuate their room during a lockdown because of smoke/fire at their door, they should evacuate outside of the school through a window if possible.”

Seminary students are included in this pronouncement as well. As part of all lockdown procedures, the seminary is contacted where similar procedures are implemented.