Head Lice at BHS

Head Lice at BHS

Wyatt Astle, Staff Reporter

There’s been a recent outbreak of head lice at Blackfoot High School, and it seems people are just not that surprised. Clint Arave likened it to a paradox. “It’s unfortunate that there is lice here at Blackfoot. Even though it’s preventable, at the same time it’s not.”

Head lice are a wingless insect that specifically infect the human scalp by grasping unto the follicles of hair. They primarily feed off the blood of their host. “Good hygiene is a great policy,” says Payton Woodland (11).

One unexpected problem with the lice policy of the district is how nobody knows who has been infected which can result in a large outbreak. “I don’t think it’s as big of a problem as people are making it out to be, but I think it’s important to have the teacher’s know, especially for drama since we have costumes and hats that we share,” noted Sharon Hoge.

To prevent the spread of head lice. Do not share hats, combs, brushes, and other articles of clothing. “Anyone can get head lice, rich or poor, white or black, young or old, like taxes and death,” commented Yvonne Sebastian.

When infected with head lice, the generally route to get rid of them is by shaving the head, if possible, cleaning all objects that might have come in contact with the infected person, and using the prescribe medicine and a comb. “Without a doubt I would shave my head. I wouldn’t want to risk having bugs crawling around my brain,” confirmed Kam Coles (12).