Students lectured on sexting

Ahna yancey, Staff Reporter

On September 11, students from math classes gathered in the BPAC to listen to a presentation prepared by officer Travis Mayne. Surprisingly, the presentation was not on the terrorist attack that occurred 16 years ago on the same date, but on sexting. The purpose of the presentation was to show students the consequences of sexting and why they shouldn’t do it.

Teens may not realize that sexting can have serious consequences such as jail time. Mayne indicated nude pictures of anyone under 18 is child pornagraphy and distributing these pictures, even if it is a picture of yourself, is considered a crime.   

According to  Dosomething.org, “24 percent of teens 14-17 have been involved in a form of nude sexting.”

“There were a lot more teens sexting than I thought there was” said, Anastasia Rios(11).

In his presentation, Mayne emphasized that sexters could end up with their name on the sex offenders list which can make it difficult to get a high paying job or live in a safe neighborhood.  Mayne also warned if any of these nude pictures end up on the internet they can follow you forever.   

”I think the people who took it seriously are the ones who it’s not a problem for. It’s going to make the people who sext more careful” said ,Jerica Satterthwaite (11).