Students need to be aware of mental health, learn about it

Dear Editor:

I am writing to you today to explain my concern about kids in our school and my classmates. In my opinion Blackfoot High School is a great school. Also I do think it would be a good idea to make some changes. The health classes taught at Blackfoot High School teach important things, but they never talk about mental health, anxiety, or depression. There are so many important and interesting things students could learn if this was taught in the health classes at Blackfoot High School. I personally, as a student who goes to Blackfoot High School, would like to learn some more about mental health.

Stories of suicide continue to flood the news and the rates of depression worldwide continue to rise, yet the stigma surrounding mental illness persists. Health care students are in a prime position to recognize and intervene in these cases. Having methods for addressing suicide prevention is invaluable. Equipping students at the start of their programs will make a huge impact on the quality of care provided down the road.

I really think talking about these things in health classes would be interesting and maybe helpful on how students handle everyday life. All we really focus on is health and nutrition. Therefore, I would like to see some changes in the content of health classes at Blackfoot High School.

Sincerely,

Mykah Plesner